Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Mystery Object Contest #2

Well, I had so much fun reading the answers you sent in for our last mystery object contest that I'm doing another one.

I think you'll find this one a tad easier... but even so, the folks in the antiques shop where I bought this mis-identified it. As in the last contest, this is something found on a nineteenth century young lady's dressing table, but would more likely be seen there toward the middle and later parts of the century. This item is made of sterling silver and is 6 3/4 inches long.

So...(cue drumroll...) What is it?

All correct guesses as of next Monday evening will once again be put into my 2007 Red Sox World Champions hat and the person whose name I pull out will win a review copy of Bewitching Season. So stop back in next Tuesday to see if you've won. And have fun!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a button hook. I always got the impression they were used for buttoning boots.

Jessica Burkhart said...

Oooh, I know this! Button hook. :) I love these contests!

Sarah Prineas said...

I'm guessing it's for buttoning boot buttons.

Anonymous said...

this might be considered cheating or whatever cuz i looked at the other comments, but it is a button hook. plus i double checked by doing a google image search.
p.s. i REALLY want to read your book, it sounds fantastic.
p.p.s. i'm gonna post a link to your contest over at my blog :D

the story siren said...

i must say that i agree with everyone else in stating that it is indeed a button hook, and i do believe that is assisted in putting on those boots with all those darn buttons! i would love to win a copy of your book! it sounds wonderful!

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

A button hook! This is one I actually know.

Anonymous said...

Ooh! A shoe button hook! There are some very pretty (and affordable!) ones for sale on Ebay!

Tasha said...

It's a button hook! Everyone already seems to know what it is, but that's o.k. A couple years ago at an interactive exhibit at a museum I actually got to try and use one of these. Let me tell you it was no easy feat! Your book sounds amazing...hopefully I'll win a copy!!

Nurin said...

I think it's a button hook.

;)